Re: Photo Critique Guidelines (excerpt)

Hi James!

These are valid points. My intention for posting the critique guidelines was to give some basic information that every review should cover; certainly, by no means should an insightful review be simply limited to the few areas I listed, as indicated by the "...etc." under the Technical and Aesthetic headings. It does help to relay where the "lines" are that the eye follows, what the image is reminiscent of, the inferred message and/or meaning, the literary visual elements (irony, humor, metaphor, etc.)... but I think that at the very least the basics need to be covered.

This was provided as a sort of "starter kit" for those who wish to enter their own critiques.

Thank you for your suggestions, James.

Darin

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Schenken" <jds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Darin:

I would have liked to see some commentary on what you see in the
image, what message you got from it.  This type of response helps the
photographer to see if the message they thought they were sending is
what you got.

..

Those kinds of commentary help without causing unnecessary discomfort
to the photographer.

All in all, I found your discussion of critiquing very helpful.  It
helps to focus on comments that can be helpful.