Re: Photo Critique Guidelines (excerpt)

Herschel

The comment " I don't like this picture " doesn't provide any information that the photographer can use to improve or even to change.
It's just your reaction and unless the picture was made for you personally, this comment just doesn't help at all.

The comment " --too little depth of field -- " is a little more helpful in that it points out what might be changed or considered in future works.  It might be better stated as a question of " why did you choose this particular depth of field - emphasize focus, provide separation, etc. "

The same thing goes for the other types of comments relating to composition.  They might be helpful in the future even though they are "opinions"

Darin:

I would have liked to see some commentary on what you see in the image, what message you got from it.  This type of response helps the photographer to see if the message they thought they were sending is what you got.

Comments like "the people in this image seem to be emotionally close ( distant, etc.) from each other.
                        " I find my eye constantly coming back to some point in the image or I keep jumping back and forth between to two ( or more ) competing interest points"
                         " This is a photograph that shows ----- "
                        " I'm lead into the image by the juxtaposition of ----"

Pretend that you are a docent in a museum talking about the image to visitors.  How would you describe it?  What does it mean?  Is it personal or aloof?  Is there some context to the image that would help to understand it?

Those kinds of commentary help without causing unnecessary discomfort to the photographer.

All in all, I found your discussion of critiquing very helpful.  It helps to focus on comments that can be helpful.

James