Re: Photo Critique Guidelines (excerpt)

A few simple hints that work with any critique, but is even more important when you are looking someone in the eyes.  Its very easy to damage egos and instead of providing a means to improve, you turn one off, often for good.

First try to find something good to say right off the bat.  No matter how small, a little bit of encouragement goes a long way and they don't feel everything is awful, even if you never use that term.

Instead of being the one doing the critique, I turn that around.  Instead of it being my ideas with statements, I GUIDE them to my ideas with questions.  It they agree it becomes their ideas.  If they don't, its not as threatening.  Example  I find this tree in the background distracting.  Maybe totally true and a statement of fact.  Better  Would this photo be improved if that tree wasn't in the background?  What can you do to remove it now?  Could you have taken the photo from a slightly different location and still got the original photo?  The better teachers teach more with questions than answers.

Finally try to end on something positive.  I usually pick my starting and ending good before I ever utter the first word.  Ending on a positive is the sugar that makes the medicine go down.  Just like Julie Andrews sings, it only takes a spoonful.  With it the help is often accepted "in the most delightful way".  Without it as often as not you just listened to yourself talk or wasted your time writing.

herschel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Nice, Darin. Could you send me the rest?
Just to play devil's advocate (As is my wont)
I find it interesting that:
 "I don't like this picture" is unacceptable as it is personal subjectivity
But "There's too little depth of field" is fine because it's hiding behind a technical term.
Surely that's also a personal opinion?
Isn't "There's a little too much space to the right" subjective?
I've heard seasoned pros arguing over such things.
Isn't ALL criticism just personal opinion?
Herschel