Re: i-MAC with Intel dual core

more on the bloat

http://www.pcworld.com/printable/article/id,137703/printable.html

"Before They Spoiled the Software

Sometimes a program's new version is actually worse than the previous one.
Here are 13 apps we liked better before they were "improved"--plus tips on
finding the earlier editions.

Software developers would like you to believe that with every new version,
their products improve substantially, adding slicker interfaces and more
powerful features, and making better use of faster processors and more RAM.
As applications mature, they imply, we are all moving toward the Golden Age
of Software.

But we know that's not always the case.

We've all seen programs that started out as a simple 1MB utility become a
Jabba-the-Hutt-sized monster with an interface so complex you need a Ph.D.
in physics to understand it. We've seen software that dropped some of its
niftiest features to lure you into buying a more-expensive Pro version.
We've seen a once-unassuming application become greedy for as much of your
system resources as it can grab.

You don't have to put up with it, though. We've rounded up a list of good
software that went bad, and we'll show you how you can turn back the clock
by downloading and installing the earlier, better versions. "