i-MAC with Intel dual core

Has ANY member of this forum set up this arrangement?
I have been "given" an i-MAC with OS 10.4 to teach Photoshop CS3
I have tried to install an Epson 1290 printer.
The OS recognised the printer and set up a BASIC printer driver.
However...
there appears NO way in which I can load any sort of advanced driver so that I can select color controls off, glossy paper, dpi etc. When I click on page setup - printer setup in the CS3 print routine, all I can do is select the paper size.... I've got printer drivers from Epson UK but they don't do anything else either. The US site allowed me to download drivers for the 1280 which is identical but I bet they won't talk to each other!

So I thought, let's try a Canon i6500. Downloaded the MAC drivers etc.
Same problem. I only get the very basic stuff. I cannot select paper, resolutio, set colour controls to neutral etc.

Any thoughts out these on the forum?

Both printers work perfectly in Windows XP....

Howard