Re: i-MAC with Intel dual core

> ...Macs are just SO easy to use!!

Per Öfverbeck:
Hehe, I´d say they WERE so easy to use, back in the OS 9 days....
The current OS X, while a vast improvement in performance, is a bit
overloaded with features, and so has become about equally complicated
as Windoze to use and maintain (especially with Epson peripherals).

The BIG (and most important) difference remains:  Macs still are very
reliable and safe.

gosh I was just discussing bloat and putting together some factoids about
it for a completely different purpose but since you raised the topic, maybe
sharing would be good

bloatware riddled Vs clean - a comedy challenge
<http://hubpages.com/hub/_86_Mac_Plus_Vs_07_AMD_DualCore_You_Wont_Believe_W
o_Wins>

or http://tinyurl.com/284ey4 if the above link wraps

"Conclusion : Check out the results! For the functions that people use most
often, the 1986 vintage Mac Plus beats the 2007 AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+: 9
tests to 8! "

reason? Operating System bloat.

I was also compiling a list of bloatware,

the nominations were:

Microsoft's Word Viewer (nearly 25 MB),
Adobe's PDF Reader 8.1 (22.3 MB)
and the winner to date:
iTunes for Windows (51 MB).

horrific given VLC media player is around a meg, as is Foxit PDF reader

but as a friend pointed out and I quote here:
"Talking of bloatware, you should have a look at various cross-platform
apps,
and the difference in installer size between Win, Linux and Mac.  Nearly
every time, the Mac download is huge compared to the Windows.

eg:
Flash 9 - PC 1.1MB, Linux 2.5MB, Mac(PowerPC) 1.8MB, Mac(Intel) 4.2MB
Firefox 2 - PC 5.7MB, Linux 9.2MB, Mac 17.1MB
Google Earth - PC 14.3MB, Linux 20.6MB, Mac 29.6MB "

an interesting article.. and more interestingly the comments
http://chris.pirillo.com/2007/08/21/award-winning-software-usually-isnt/

and the safety issue often comes down to the method of connecting to the
net, and Opera still manages to keep windoze users safer than any other
browser (virus free for 4 years now! :) AND it's faster that any other
browser, sometimes by a LONG shot..

http://celtickane.com/projects/jsspeed.php

http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html

http://www.garyshood.com/browser/