Re: i-MAC with Intel dual core

Per:
Well, I´m not really surprised.  Anyone needing just a "thinking
typewriter" would be far better served by an old no-nonsense setup.

For myself: I need Lightroom and Photoshop.  I need a state-of-the-
art photo printer (which, sadly, still means an Epson).  I want Gigs
and Gigs of storage, and fast ways of searching it.  I want to do
several things simultaneously  (like scanning one neg, sharpening the
previous neg in Photoshop, and printing yet a third one, while
listening to streaming classical music).  So I do need the power and
the bloat.  But there´s a price to pay, and not just in money....

awww, true multitasking has been around since windows 3.11 - in fact even
lowly DOS could be made to multitask

state of the art machines need not be bogged down by ridiculous and
unnecessary system processes - that's the point of clean code.  take
advantage of searingly fast hardware with a stripped OS for mind numbing
performance.

again hopping on the irfanview bandwagon as a good example - there's a
program that can regognise a misnamed file extension in a millisecond and
offer to rename it appropriately, PS  *still* cannot do that.

a program that is 400 times faster than PS for batch processing.

good code makes a world of difference :)

we ALL need the power, we do not need the bloat though! ;)

I watched the kids at college take all their audio edit work home because
the college used Soundforge and top of the line macs, but they wanted to
avoid 'wasting time' and preferred to edit with Audacity (7mb installed) -
especially given it could handle far more tracks than the top of the range
audio edit suite could.. AND it was free.

there are many ways to skin a cat