Re: A more outrageous question

Marilyn Dalrymple wrote:
I sometimes hate to see a student who has a natural feel for photography, or any art for that matter, being made to follow the rules. They can be confining, and to a degree crippling.
I imagine the people doing it feel that the works are made better by the conformity. I've never taught photography, and don't think myself really competent to do so beyond technical matters (which, in a serious program, would be a rather small part of the whole, wouldn't they?), but it seems like a photo teacher ought to be open to the idea of helping the students reach whatever it is they're striving for, and able to have some sympathy for artistic endeavors not to their personal taste; like, being able to recognize something that half-works and explain the part that worked and the part that didn't in a useful way.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@xxxxxxxx; http://dd-b.net/dd-b
Pics: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum, http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery