A more outrageous question

Could you concieve of a situation where technical knowledge could impair the taking of a good photograph.
Or
Is it possible that one can know too much, to the extent that it dulls one's perception of the subject or prevents one getting close enough to the essence of the subject.
Perhaps because one is thinking more about the technical issues than the subject's issues?

I wonder how, once I know about the rule of thirds, do I NOT think about it when composing a picture.

Can one "NOT"  think about it and compose naturally once you've been taught it?
It's a somewhat recursive question.

My humble opinion is that you can't choose to remove it from the equation so you must choose to act with it or against it. but one way or another there's  no way to go back to totally free, fully intuitive comosition.

So how do we assess the effect of the rule of thirds on the medium as an art form? Doesn't it give us a conformiy. A sameness?

I wonder.
herschel

"Emily L. Ferguson" <elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Been going through piles of paper and I found this little gem:

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - AA
There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept - AA
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Herschel Mair