Re: A more outrageous question

Just a few short comments - I've found that even though I can take photographs "on demand" now (making a photograph of a subject on request of another) because I know some of the rules, I find many of my favorite and most successful photographs are ones I took before I knew any rules.

I still rely on my intuition and instinct when photographing more than rules, perhaps because over the years the rules are ingrained in me and I don't have to think about them so much.  But, if I had to choose between using the rules or using my instinct and intuition, and was limited to using one source of information (rules or intuition/instinct), I'd choose my instincts and intuition.

I sometimes hate to see a student who has a natural feel for photography, or any art for that matter, being made to follow the rules.  They can be confining, and to a degree crippling.

Marilyn

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."  Dorthea Lange