Re: [SPAM] Re: A more outrageous question

Forgive a slight digression and observation. I have not investigated this but believe the Rule of Thirds to be a simplification of the Golden Section. They are not quite the same but are close. The Golden Section seems to be a ratio favored in nature and, by extension, human beings. They find that ratio, or a reasonable approximation of it, to be pleasing because it may be ingrained, part of our DNA. If that is true, then the Rule of Thirds is not some arbitrary pronouncement by "experts". Perhaps someone acquainted with the projects where they give kids cameras and say "Shoot pictures!" and turn them loose might have ideas on this. Or perhaps it is a total fallacy. I have never had a problem with disobeying rules of any kind but have observed that rules generally exist for a perceived reason. One reason is that they allow people to function often without a lot of thought. Once internalized, a rule becomes a starting point at least. So, to break a rule requires a conscious decision which probably entails some thought process.
Don

Marilyn Dalrymple wrote:
Just a few short comments - I've found that even though I can take photographs "on demand" now (making a photograph of a subject on request of another) because I know some of the rules, I find many of my favorite and most successful photographs are ones I took before I knew any rules. I still rely on my intuition and instinct when photographing more than rules, perhaps because over the years the rules are ingrained in me and I don't have to think about them so much. But, if I had to choose between using the rules or using my instinct and intuition, and was limited to using /one /source of information (rules or intuition/instinct), I'd choose my instincts and intuition. I sometimes hate to see a student who has a natural feel for photography, or any art for that matter, being made to follow the rules. They can be confining, and to a degree crippling. Marilyn ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ "The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." Dorthea Lange