Re: Refurbished Laptops

----- Original Message -----
From: "trevor cunningham" <tr_cunningham@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students"
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2007 2:11
Subject: OT: Refurbished Laptops

: I was wondering if anyone here has experience and an
: opinion about the purchase of refurbished laptops.  In
: the  process of changing geographic location and
: picking up a couple new toys.  I've noticed quite a
: market on the Internet for refurbished puters.  My
: suspicious side insists they're cursed lemons and will
: always be so.  The wallet says, "Hey, these guys
: receive more detailed attention than their mass
: produced brethren...AND they're cheaper!"  I've seen
: some pretty tastey deals.  Thoughts?

a lot of ex-government computers, liquidated stock from failed businesses
and the like end up at floor auctions here, picked up by computer resellers
for a song they make those businesses a decent return on 'refurbishing'
them (ofen just a wipe and OS reinstal)

nothing to fear when bought from a reputable store

though I spend the time to visit floor auctions when I'm in the market for
such things .. why pay $200 when you can pay $50 ?  ;)