Re: Help identify this lens

This is an old process lens used in printing (as Andy said, for copy work). It would probably be a macro lens and should be very sharp.

Process lenses are made for 1 to 1 magnification. They usually have a much higher resolving capability and would be sharpest at 1:1. Even though not as sharp at infinity as 1:1 still much sharper than a typical Large format lens. As to the sharpness compared to a 35mm lens, copy lenses can be more than twice as sharp measured in lines per inch of resolution. I would do a web search to see what it might turn up or contact Richard Knoppow on the pure silver list. He seems to have all sorts of information like this.

Lenses like this new were typically thousands of dollars. It would be a fairly nice lens for LF, but I couldn't venture a guess on how it would work on 35mm. Might prove interesting on a bellows.

--
Robert Hall
www.RobertHall.com