Re: PF exhibit updated 03-17-07

----- Original Message ----- From: "ADavidhazy temp in Seattle" <andpph@xxxxxxx>
The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated MAR 17 2007. Authors with work now on display at: http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html include:

Hi!
The list is so quiet these days...
Where is everyone?
So I'll try to write a few thoughts on this week's gallery:

Trevor Cunningham -
Very simple image and composition. And rather funny at that: beyond the image of a house, I see a face with two eyes and a mouth and bushy hair on top of the face casting their shadow just under the eyes... Good.

Don Roberts - Route 66
Very nice image. It brings me back to the mythical years of Jack Kerouac and the Beat generation. I like the invisible dividing lines crossing right in the center of the picture. They say that this is a "no-no", but it works very well here with all sorts of other balancing lines moving through the scene.

Guy Glorieux - Cerberus, gardian of the river Styx
Thanks for those who reviewed. This is a pinhole photograph just slightly unsharp-masked in Photoshop. It is made of overlapping exposures in the pinhole camera created by moving the film only part of the way through the 6x9 frame. This camera has a very short focal distance so that the light fall-off at the edges is such that the blending of the overlapping exposure is generally very smooth. Each 120 film I expose is therefore a continuous image from start to end and I can pick up frames wherever I feel it works best. From this film, I drew a series of five images covering Orfeo's travel to the underworld in search of Eurydice.

Steve Shapiro - Moment in Doggie Life
I like the idea but I find the picture a bit too crowded with distracting visual elements. I would have cropped it to the left and to the top. But then this is perhaps the way our busy world looks like to our small friends... Obviously, there very cosy!

Christopher Strevens - Mum
Chris, despite all your claims to the contrary, your Mum looks like she's holding the fort very well. But there is something a bit disturbing about the way the perspective catches her between the huge cup of coffee way in front and the huge baby fingers(?) in the picture behing her. Since the author is anonymous, you would'nt obviously be able to tell them that a slight shift in the shooting angle to the left and downward might have created a completely different atmosphere surrounding this old woman. My own Mum turned 90 last winter and I try to take as many pictures of her as I can before she leaves us. Not easy because she does not like being photographed.

Emily L. Ferguson -
A very lovely picture/logo. I like the wave gently washing into an s-curve, carrying the glow of late afternoon light. The words also work very well into the picture. Well done. Have you tried a Logo with some of your sailboat races? This should also be very nice.

Thanks.

Guy