Re: Adobe in Photoshop freebie

I doubt whether you can get "those folks" to buy the real Photoshop. Too expensive.
Maybe PS elements, but there are possibilities to get that programme almost for free (at least here in Germany you get PS Elements 5  included in some Web hosting packages).

Laurenz

2007/3/4, R V <muunstruk@xxxxxxxxx>:
>From what I understand the free online version is supposed to "lead users toward the full version of Elements and PS", i.e. Adobe has given away scaled down versions of Elements for years with the purchase of printer, camera  etc. hardware, and this sounds very much like this, and so is not at all suitable for professional use.
Pros obviously aren't the target here since they are already hooked on PS (while the Gimp will do the same job and more), but it's for the general audiences, who right now still print the images straight as they are coming out of the camera without taking advantage of the digital darkroom Photoshop provides.
To get those folks to buy PS - that's the reason for the "freebie" from Adobe.

Just my two cents worth on this beautiful Sunday morning, when I should be out walking by the river with my camera.

Have a good one,
Renate

On 3/4/07, Laurenz Bobke <laurenzb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
Hmm,

I think there are pros and cons for different services, depending on the special needs of the customer.
a)  someone who just wants to share a few shots on the web would be happy with a sort of combination between Flickr's online storage and an online photo editor that can be used from an internet cafe to just get rid of the occasional red eye.
I somehow think that working with layers on high-res files on a truly web based system might be quite resource intensive. So the respective service would need lots of computer power if many users are accessing it.
Still this looks temptingly useful, especially for travellers. No need for a notebook. Upload, modify and share the pics directly from your camera. Of course than you are at the mercy of the service unless you regularly backup your pictures on your own system.

b) someone who might like to work more professionally from his/her own computer may still appreciate not having to pay the full price for a product used only occasionally. So "renting" it (or getting it for free looking at the ads paying for the service) on the web may be a viable alternative.
With the programme on the remote host and the data on the personal computer, I'd predict huge performance issues unless large parts of the programme are actually downloaded to the local system.
Just imagine- a complete PS as (for example) Java applet... Guess you have to seriously strip down the features if you want this to work.

c) the traditional way: buy the software, install it on your system. You avoid all problems with sending data to a host and your data are as secure as your computer is (when did you last backup your files on a different medium or a HD not connected to the net?). I guess for really professional use this still is the best option.

PS speaking of security: If anybody in this group is using Wordpress 2.1.1 on their site, I'd recommend to stop reading this and install the critical update. This version was cracked...

2007/3/3, Emily L. Ferguson <elf@xxxxxxxx>:
I'm with you Bob.  I don't want any more of that material out there
and hackable than I can possibly have.  The absolute minimum.

At some point people have to weigh the value of convenience against
the value of their privacy.  I wonder whether the majority will ever
figure that out.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto: elf@xxxxxxxx