Re: Maybe I should flip a coin?

Russ,

i'm no expert on this issue but i thought the below comment might be of interest to you (snagged from http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2208):

my opinion is quite simple and though it could be flawed, i always say match the lense with the camera. so buy the canon for the canon. the reason i lean this way is that i figure a company knows its own camera best and therefore can make the best lens for its camera. this is just my old school thought but i wonder
what other people think about this mindset.

joshua

Rudi
Member

Re: Canon vs Tamron Lens

I am not really surprised! I used to have a Tamron 28-200mm zoom on my old EOS 50E, and even on normal 4x6 prints I could tell that they were not as sharp as ones taken with a Canon lens (even the cheaper Canon lenses, such as the older 35-70mm and 80-200mm zooms). The Tamron colour was a little off as well, slightly warmer colours.

Having said that, the Tamron was a brilliant travel lens. I wish I'd kept it so that I could now see how much worse it is on the D30 (lots of people tell me that it is much more noticeable on the D30).

On another note, the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 is supposed to be nearly identical to the Canon optically (from reviews on the Internet). I don't think that the AF will be as fast as the Canon, though. Most Sigmas are slower (I have a 135-400mm Sigma APO lens, and it is slower-focusing than my Canon lenses). Let's not forget one thing, though: It should still be a hell of a lot faster than focusing manually! And... you *can* still focus manually if you need the ultimate in control.

Personally, I am leaning towards the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 rather than the Canon. I don't really want to spend the money on the Canon f/2.8 version, and the f/4 version is a non-starter, seeing that I can get the Sigma f/2.8 version for around the same price (here in Oz).
--
Joshua Soros
CEO/Founder

phone:

New York, NY:
(646) 808-3037
               San Francisco, CA:
               (415) 992-SWEB (7932)
Washington, DC:
 (202) 657-4-WEB (4932)
Boise, ID:
(208) 629-3446

Web Creation, Marketing, Management & Commercial Photography:
www.soroswebdev.com
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Photographic and Installations Art:
www.joshuasoros.com
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Philanthropy:
www.joshuasoros.org
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
----- Original Message ----- From: "rebphoto" <rebphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx> To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, February 24, 2007 20:05
Subject: Maybe I should flip a coin?

Hi Gang..........

After doing a little research I have found that
both Canon and Tamron make a 28-200mm lens.

They both have about the same variable aperture
(3.5-5.6)

They sell for about the same price........

$300.00

Makes me wonder what is the better lens for my Canon 10D?

(Don't tell me to buy a L series lens......don't have the bucks for that!)

Thanks

Russ
R.E. Baker
Photography