gallery review for PF exhibit Nov 11, 2006

Guy Glorieux
What a beautiful mood-capturing image. You've captured that magic moment of autumn in the city. As I said before, I would be tempted to un-focus the city elements in the background; and possibly tone down the blue of the truck.

Gregory david Stempel - MV Samish
It's a nice shot, but a bit too technical for my taste. I would like to feel some of the cold and damp of the scene. Instead, I am only smelling the creosote and the diesel fumes of the tug. Maybe it's the contrast in color of the boat versus the lack of color in the environment? One the other hand, the pale background does make the tug boat stand out. The composition works nicely, with the tugged load balancing the masts (?)

Herschel Mair - Bedouin girl
What a strange image. The girls is riveting. The expression in her eyes is very affecting. Would it be possible to bring up the surrounding crowd some more, so that we could get a sense of context? I would think that the image might be even more surprising if we knew immediately that she was out on a city street.

Roy Miller - Durham Police Arrest The Angel Of Death on I-85.
The title wins me immediately. I am in Chapel Hill - just down the road from the Angel of Death, I guess. The image is great. I would agree with what someone else said about the 'posterization', which is not actually posterization. Would it be possible to soften the color/contrast/edges to give it more of a blurred ethereal feeling? I am recalling the poster for the Wim Wenders film, Wings of Desire: http://www.douban.com/lpic/s1317759.jpg

Don Draper - Pavement
There are some things that I just don't get - usually more on the abstract edge of things. This is one. Don, this probably says more about my limitations than about your photography. Nothing intelligent is coming to mind.... I like it, but I don't know why...

a nice variety of images.  - Serena

--
Serena Fenton        http://layersofmeaning.org/