Re: Sharpening, and improving focus, and reducing motion blur

On 11/2/06, lea murphy <lea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I agree completely about having a sharpening starting point.

This thread has me wondering, does it stand to reason that a specific lens,
camera body combination would typically require about the same amount of
sharpening? Kind of makes sense to me when I think about it. And that may be
why my standard starting point works...because I typically use the same lens
and body combo.

If you add in a particular photographer's typical working methods and
subjects, the odds of having the same thing work about right a lot of
the time go up even more I think.

Mind you, I'm not trying to pull an image into focus...just sharpen it up.

Right; very separate topics.  I know I've spent *far* too much of my
life, in the darkroom and in photoshop, trying to turn bad photos into
mediocre photos -- but I'm mostly documenting things, and if it's the
only photo I've got, I want it, darn it!  So I *do* do trying to pull
an image into focus now and then, but it's a very different process.

I've not yet shot a raw image that hasn't benefited from sharpening.

I think I've seen the theoreticians explaining why this will always be
the case, though my optics is too weak to check their work.
RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
Pics: <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>