Re: Sharpening, and improving focus, and reducing motion blur

There is a sharpness tool in the Detail tab of PS RAW window, but whenever I
use it, it seems to do absolutely nothing. Is this just an adobe gimmick, or
am I using it wrong somehow??

Unsharp mask is the one I generally resort to but it would be useful to be
able to do it in the RAW window. Any thoughts?

On 2/11/06 02:04, "David Dyer-Bennet" <dd-b@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11/1/06, Emily L. Ferguson <elf@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Interesting about trying to standardize on sharpening settings.
>> Using that premise it seems to me that one must expect all ones
>> captures to be tack sharp before processing?
>>
>> I aim to not have to apply any sharpening as a start.  If I'm so
>> attached to an image that I can't accept that it's not sharp enough,
>> then I grit my teeth and apply sharpening - as little as I can get
>> away with.
>>
>> The last time I sharpened, the radius was .08 and the threshold was
>> as low as Unsharp Mask permitted.
>>
>> Now, it's quite clear that jpegs for web use do require sharpening.
>> For that at least 50% works fine.
>>
>> But to me every image is a unique situation.  Percentage just can't
>> be standardized in my view.
>
> My position is that every digital image requires sharpening before
> use, at some stage -- maybe just in camera or in the scanner software.
>
> I very much agree that for anything beyond proofs and snapshots, you
> need to look at individual images and make choices.  Still, seeing the
> starting points people think of as "normal' for different kinds (print
> of various sizes, web) of images is very interesting.

Jonathan Turner
Photographer

e: home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
t: 0113 217 1275