Re: Sharpening, and improving focus, and reducing motion blur

At 4:52 PM +0000 11/2/06, jonathan turner wrote:
There is a sharpness tool in the Detail tab of PS RAW window, but whenever I
use it, it seems to do absolutely nothing. Is this just an adobe gimmick, or
am I using it wrong somehow??

Try zooming in on your image - select 200% from the drop down menu in the lower left corner of ACR. On the Mac you can also hit Apple (Cmd) + to zoom in and Apple (Cmd) - to zoom out again. Apple (Cmd) 0, that's the number zero, also restores the image to the size of the ACR window. Those keyboard commands are the same as in PS.

Then use the sharpening slider in Detail. Push it all the way to the right and see whether you can see the difference.

In PS CS 2 if you hit the H key, the cursor will turn into a hand and you can drag the image around in the ACR window. Look somewhere in the image just on the edge of the depth of field when you try the sharpening slider.

In CS1 on the Mac holding down the Apple (Cmd) key makes the cursor into a hand, but you have to hold the key down all the time while you're dragging.

My 10D does not get very quiet images above ISO 200 so I find Luminance Smoothing very helpful also when I sharpen marginal images.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx 508-563-6822