Re: Wide-angle lens

On 10/23/06, Elson T. Elizaga <elson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've been using a Sigma 18-35mm for my Nikon bodies for sometime now,
and the result is unpredictable. Sometimes the photos are acceptably
sharp, sometimes "soft".

I heard the cheap, plastic Nikon 18-55mm AF is good, but what's your
opinion? Would you recommend something else? What about the Nikon
18-70mm AF from the D70 kit? And the primes?

I've heard the 18-55 is considerably inferior to the 18-70.  I've got
the 18-70, and except for being very flare-prone I've been pretty
happy with it.  But it flares worse than any lens I've previously
used, when it flares at all.

The 18-70 is an interesting lens, it has all the "good" letters after
its name (ED and AF-S particularly) yet is relatively cheap (I got
mine used for I believe $175).

I'm looking because I'll be shooting a great deal of architectural
designs soon.

I'd have guessed neither one is wide enough; but maybe you're lucky
enough to be able to get well back, or are planning on stitching.

People tend to be awfully picky about curved lines and such in
architectural shots.  Also converging verticals, which is another
reason for a wider lens (or a shift lens).

Good luck!
RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
Pics: <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>