Wide-angle lens

I've been using a Sigma 18-35mm for my Nikon bodies for sometime now, and the result is unpredictable. Sometimes the photos are acceptably sharp, sometimes "soft".

I heard the cheap, plastic Nikon 18-55mm AF is good, but what's your opinion? Would you recommend something else? What about the Nikon 18-70mm AF from the D70 kit? And the primes?

I'm looking because I'll be shooting a great deal of architectural designs soon.

Elson
NAZCA GRAPHIC DESIGN & PHOTOGRAPHY
http://nazca.elizaga.net