Re: Learning how to use a computer - a bit of a tirade...

On 7/26/06, Marilyn <marilyn160@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thank you, Renate, for your suggestion concerning the tutorials.

I have found a few and worked with them, but I will do some deeper
searching.  Maybe I'm just guilty of needing the stimulation of a class
room. (Then maybe I just have  a thick head and need an instructor to pound
the information in {:->)

People learn so differently.  Everything I've ever been paid for
doing, I learned on my own -- computer programming (from assembly
language to C++ and Perl and PHP and TCL, and HTML and SQL) and
photography included.  Sometimes I had more experienced people around
to ask questions of -- but not all that much of the time in
photography or programming, especially in the beginning.

On the other hand, it's amazing how much you can learn in an evening
of sitting around in front of a computer with a real master printer;
not as a class, but just informally.

I know a lot of people who do poorly in classes -- because the class
moves far too slowly for them to keep their attention focused on it.

I'm determined to learn Photoshop, however, and will make an effort to do
so.

It's "the" tool right now; learning photoshop is the modern equivalent
of learning to do your own darkroom work.  It opens up a whole new
part of the art.  (You probably already know that, or you wouldn't be
so committed to learning.)
RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
Pics: <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>