Learning how to use a computer - a bit of a tirade...

Actually,Marilyn, I sold my old Mac to a friend and I've been teaching her how to use it and Photoshop. At first it was just so she could get over PC-itis, but it's grown like topsy and now it's no longer "doing a favor for a friend". Yesterday we talked about how much she should start paying me.

So today I did some calling around, posing as a moderately knowledgible Mac user who needed some one-on-one with someone who knew html and frames.

$125/hr from one place for one-on-one home call.
$60/hr from another.
Many simply don't do that at all.

How do people learn, fer crissakes, if they have to travel to Boston, 75 miles away, to take a 3-hr $50 workshop? Or to Providence every Wednesday evening for an entire summer, for $750, for a Dreamweaver adult ed class?

It seems like every adult ed program has a class or two in Word and Quickbooks, but what about the people like me or like my friend, who don't need yet another intro to Word, who can perfectly well figure out Quickbooks for themselves but want to make a real web site, not something from canned templates? Without that workshop in Boston I'd still be shooting jpegs and doing all my adjustments in Photoshop.

Bah! $125/hr! Seems outrageous. Wouldn't hurt my checking account, but still.

Even $60 I'm having trouble swallowing. But it makes me feel better about wanting $45.

But I have to pay $60 for the html help, and I'm hardly an amateur with Photoshop. Maybe I should just grit my teeth and go for the $60.

Bah.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx