Re: Learning how to use a computer - a bit of a tirade...

Are you kidding me?

Emily, you give everyone hell for not charging enough for their photography work then undersell when it comes to doing some training.

$125, $60 per hour is NOTHING for the person who NEEDS/WANTS to know what you have to teach them.

I teach, out of my home, a very intro level photography class a couple times a year because I had friends approach me at morning coffee wanting to know how to use their digital point and shoot cameras, how to set them up and get familiar with all the controls. It's a three hour course with handouts and hands-on time then we meet again a week later so they can show me some of their 'assignment' prints and we can go over any rough spots. I charge $250 per person with a max of 5 people and the class sells out every time I offer it. The only advertising I do for it is a little 4x6 card at my coffee shop.

The prioress in charge of a convent an hour or so from town heard about my class and asked me to come teach it to 10 women on her staff who are responsible for photographing for their publications and their web site. I was paid over $2000 for a day of my time.

More than once I've thought of giving up shooting in favor of training one-on-one. I used to work for a company who sent me all over KC and surrounding areas to teach Word, Pagemaker, Photoshop, Illustrator and Powerpoint and I loved it. I taught in corporate environments and in schools. My biggest assignment was doing the assessment and training for employees at Josten's Yearbook Company when they went from manual layouts to completely digital ones. It was a BLAST. I had people in that class who had never had their hands on a mouse and by the time I was finished with them they were doing layouts in their sleep. It was delightful.

I say go for the $60.00. Or more.

Lea