Re: A lens in need is a lens indeed.........Sigma lenses? Go pinhole!

From: "Howard"

: Karl, you make wonder if anyone has used a dSLR body to produce a pin
: hole lens. Using a black tube, taped to the body, or a lens cap (hmm)
: with the end replaced by with Al foil and a tiny hole.
: So I googled it and yes they have. So who needs EOS or Nikkor lenses?
: See
: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mallol/159891275/
:
: Looks like fun! But I'd be very concerned about dust.

If you're going to play with the digitals and pinholes (it DOES sound like
fun :) full frame sensors would give the better images, or alternatively go
for LONG focal lengths!

Say a 300mm with 0.325mm hole (f950ish)

400mm with a 0.4mm hole (f1000ish)

500mm with a 0.45mm hole (f1100ish)

I'd suggest longer but a 500mm cardboard tube hanging off the front of the
Dxxx would look dopey enough without going to extremes!  Then again one
could always wrap red tape about the tube recreating a barbers pole type
effect, and maybe a streamer or two down the length..  Flashing LED's could
look pretty too and would guarantee at least some people would stand
staring long enough to get a human shape in the shot..  Perspective
compression at this focal length would be awesome on a small sensor too !

And don't forget the tripod! ;)