Re: Photo gear, was: Re: gallery

There is no 70-300/4L, you maybe think of the EF70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM (with green ring instead of the red on L )
This is a compact lense ideal for travelers that cost above $1000.
The new "regular" 70-300/4-5.6 IS USM is not so compact but cost half the price. According to : http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/70-300do.html there is no optical reason to pay this difference.
My X2 was stolen so this is no more a problem.
I was used to use the built in flash for fill in as I wrote to Emily.

Pini

????? Bob:
Pini Vollach wrote:
Hi Bob,

Till now no insurance take liability.
I thought my home policy with the "All Risk" addition for the photo equipment which I pay fortune every year will be liable for this
but they say that theft from a car is not included.
My agent sent them a letter and we are waiting to their decision.

Now I have to make more decisions about what new gear to purchase.
Some of the considerations:
1. 80-200/2.8 was very heavy to carry so I want to lower the load.
2. 200 is not enough. ( I had also X2 TC ).
3.I liked my EF16-35/2.8 L but with the pain of the theft I don't know if to invest in expensive gear again ? ( It can happen again in my travels. ). 4. Before the theft I was thinking about the EOS 5D, (although I don't like the fact that it lack a built in flash . I do like the X1 factor that retain the wide angle lenses focal distance. )
Now, again, I have fears as described before. Should I go with 30D ?
What do you guys think about a good combo for a traveler ?

Pini

Pini,

How about the 70-300 f/4L, it is light but sort of slow when used with the 2X TC. Then there is the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. The 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM is equal to the 200 with the 2X TC...... Quite a few of us seem to like the 17-40 f/4L.

The lack of built in flash was never a problem with my EOS-3 and now that I have it on my 20D I hardly use it. I really can't remember the last time I used the 20D built in flash. I have a 550..... If I was starting over I would have a hard time not getting the 5D with the full frame. Good luck with the insurance and deciding on what you will buy to replace the lost items......

Bob