Re: Photo gear, was: Re: gallery

More pixels for having to crop is a good reason to choose the 5D over the 30D.
1D Mark II is too expensive for me and also too heavy.
What type of 17-40 do you have ? are you satisfied with it ?
I use the built in flash only for fill in tasks. I had a 550 but didn't like to go all the time with it attached to the camera.

Pini

????? Emily L. Ferguson:
Well, I just bought a 5D which I'll use with my short zoom, the 17-40, to regain the width I lose with the 10D. But I'd really like a 1D Mark II for the other end. It's not going to turn my 75-300 into a 100-500 like the 10D does, but at least I won't have to run a 2x and lose the speed with the longer zoom. I'll have more MPs with the 1D Mark II to compensate for having to crop. Mostly the startup time and the increased write time will be the improvement over the 10D, as well as the increased shutter life.

Generally, the real problem with this type of equipment, as Pini discovered, is that you simply can't go anywhere without it strapped to your body. Generally you can't depend on the security departments at hotels to be secure, and you sure can't expect anything as easy to break in to as a car to be much use. Some shooters on my PhotoPro list keep a styro cooler in the car trunk and put their gear in it. Thieves don't figure there's anything in there but sandwiches. Others have such coolers or small storage lockers bolted into the floors of their trunks with locks of various kinds on the lids.

The first time I went to Europe I was staying in youth hostels, so I left my engagement ring behind with my parents. This time I may also leave my mother's 25th anniversary ring behind even though I'm only going to Austria and staying under the aegis of the organization I'm shooting for.

The 5D does have some nice features - full frame but doesn't weigh a ton and most current model are clearly two. I don't use the pop-up flash. I need more control than that. So I won't miss it.