Re: Why?

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 12:35:03 -0600, lea murphy <lea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote/replied to:

>I use my local Costco all the time and THEY ROCK. I have their
>profiles downloaded to my computer and get super quality from them.
>Of course I have to take in jpg files, not raws.

If one uses a Frontier lab, or I'd guess any other mini lab for printing, talk
with them about turning off the machine's Auto Adjust. That way you will get
consistant results. Make sure you remind them to do that everytime you go.

If you look at the numbers the machine prints on the back of each print you will
see what adjustments it's made. You should see all zeros if Auto Adjust is off.

I have found excellent results balancing on screen to SRGB and no Auto adjust on
a Frontier. Fuji has a test file you can download - have that printed along with
each batch and you can judge just how well their machines are calibrated. I
found little variation from batch to batch, but your lab may vary.

Most Frontiers can do up to 10" wide paper, therefore the largest they do is a
10 by 15" print. Nice size for the wall actually and quite cheap. Anything
larger is usually farmed out and results can vary much more than their regular
prints done in house.

--
Jim Davis, Owner, Eastern Beaver Company:
http://easternbeaver.com/ Motorcycle Relay Kits,