Re: More Linux than Apple, but problems

Peeter Vissak wrote:
BTW - I just tried Ubuntu, but it seems I'm surrounded with a dark aura -

Perhaps the real version would have worked better

I've only tried the real version. I heard from someone else that Ubuntu (live) had played up for them too. The version I last installed was Hoary Hedgehog (Breezy Badger may be the version you tried -- it's newer)

(128 MB together with integratred stuff, that makes it eventually 120 + something).

That's not a lot is it. I have a number of linux machines running with as little as 16 Mb of RAM, but they're obviously not running a GUI!

But the good news is that the Fujitsu-Siemens company sent me a SMS that they have fixed my laptop!!!
Good! :-)

If you regularly need to write into directories outside your home
directory (why?)
E.g. adding programs or updating them. Apt-get and similar

That's exactly what sudo is for. "sudo aptitude install frog-strangler". (Aptitude is kinda the newer version of apt).
If you've been installing various linux versions, give Ubuntu a try.  I
can't promise it will work well on your hardware, but if you have the
time, it's a good distro (as is knoppix)

I will, for sure!
I like to spend some time playing with different linux distros. Just perhaps hoping to find "my version".

The eternal search :-) I settled on Debian quite some time ago because I value stability over pretty much all else. Having said that, I use other distros where appropriate. Pebble, Ubuntu, and IPCop are the ones I use most frequently.

Ubuntu would be my first choice for a desktop version. Anything Red Hat is also pretty safe, but my personal preference is to stay with debian based distros due to my experience with them.

Steve