Re: More Linux than Apple, but problems

Steve,

Thanx for Your suggestions & comments!

On Friday 03 March 2006 10:01, Steve Hodges wrote:

> I use Debian, which is probably not the way you want to go, but I am
> quite impressed with Ubuntu.  I've set it up for one of my relatives on
> an older machine and it works without needing fiddling.

I've tried to install Debian last year to a  much newer PC (2,7 GB Pentium), I
ran into a packages problem, that overwhelmed me and the machine and I
decided that SUSE & Knoppix & Feather Linux would be easier to handle
(although the Feather Linux was really sweet!!!)

BTW - I just tried Ubuntu, but it seems I'm surrounded with a dark aura - the
LIVE version refused to go further from the login phase. The loadind system
stated, that whatever I do, THEY will soon login together with that anonymous
user called "ubuntu", but they were wrong - nothing happened and everything
started over again from the same point. I was offered the option to be a user
myself, but the system never recognized me (as I suspected from the very
beginning) whichever login name or pwd I used :)

Perhaps the real version would have worked better (I still have the
opportunity to try it, as I burned that CD as well) or is the problem in low
RAM memory (128 MB together with integratred stuff, that makes it eventually
120 + something).

But the good news is that the Fujitsu-Siemens company sent me a SMS that they
have fixed my laptop!!!

I still have not buried the idee fix to buy a Mac once more time (would that
be the dual core Intel - I still do not know).

> If you regularly need to write into directories outside your home
> directory (why?)
E.g. adding programs or updating them. Apt-get and similar

> You're not going to get DOS stuff working in Linux without a lot of
> effort.  If you're really keen, you could look at one of the VM machine
> applications, but this looks like a viable alternative:

Oh, there's the FreeDOS platform available these days, so if I become really
keen in turning back to roots, there will be options for that.

> If you've been installing various linux versions, give Ubuntu a try.  I
> can't promise it will work well on your hardware, but if you have the
> time, it's a good distro (as is knoppix)

I will, for sure!
I like to spend some time playing with different linux distros. Just perhaps
hoping to find "my version".

And once more thanks for good suggestions!

Regards,

Peeter

--
Peeter Vissak