Re: More Linux than Apple, but problems

On Wednesday 01 March 2006 18:53, Steve Hodges wrote:

> Not being able to log in as root is a feature.  It's a feature you *can*
> change, but it's best to do things the proper way :-)
>
> The sudo command will allow you to execute a command as root.  If you
> execute bash as sudo you'll get a shell with root access. (type "sudo
> bash").  sudo asks you for your password if you haven't entered it
> recently.
>
> Steve

I've tried installing Knoppix 3.7 in several ways (multiuser and CD-like
and . .), but all the time root logins are ruled out. In 3.6 and earlier it
was different.

I know of sudo command, but if I want to save a file from an editor into a
location, other than home, it does not help (or does somehow?). I admit that
I've been trying to use Linux as easily as possible, not reading much
manuals.
I also know how to go to command-line mode with Ctrl+Alt+F1 or 2 or 3, but
being busy with other work with end-user applications, I've had no time to
get myself into linux's or UNIX's command line language, that is much more
complicated than DOS was, at least it is annoyingly different.
BTW - I loved DOS and used it for application programs until the new Windows
platform ruled it out, exchanging it with the incorporated terminal
emulation. But even now I have some old-time applications, working in DOS
emulated mode (some geobotanical multivariate analysis stuff and
geostatistics with kriging and similar).

The problem is that I am so old already, I want to USE the computer now.
Learning computer will take so much precious time, that perhaps I'm then dead
already, having not been able to wok on it :)

But I still try to be opened for good suggestions and in the meantime I try
changing some conf files to be able to use USB devices.

Some problems may occur, BTW, from the machine being AMD K6-2, that is
something someone perhaps still remembers, but I accidentally own.
Sometimes it is better to trash old junk, not keep them in the attic.
Anyway it will be easier to wait for the laptop coming back from the warranty
maintenance :)

Thanks and kindest regards,

Peeter