Re: file sizes and the gallery

Marilyn,

It might be useful to everyone on the list if someone with sizing experience could write a small tutorial on how to accomplish this effectively. The process used or to be followed probably is software dependent I realize.

BTW, you may have noticed that file sizes close to 100K have been making their way into the PhotoForum gallery.

However, as has been pointed out success in compression does depend to some extent on the amount of fine detail present in the scene. I still very much appreciate the "helping hand" I received from Bob Talbot in relation to using "save for web, image only" when preparing thumbnails. This brought the size of these from what used to be 30-40K down to 2-4K apiece. I have now made use of this approach for most of the photographs on my website. This may not be everyone's cup of tea when preparing larger files but that is a personal matter.

In any case, if a file arrives that by accident or whatever is way too big I will make appropriate adjustments trying not to compromise on presentation quality to the best of my ability.

Cheers,
Andy