Re: Inmates running the asylum

Here's a portion of an article from The American Heritage Book of English Usage (Houghton Mifflin Company, Boston, New York, 1996), p. 258:

“In their book Connections: News Ways of Working in the Networked Organization, sociologists Lee Sproul and Sara Kiesler discuss experiments they designed to compare the efficiency and social dynamics of people making decisions in face-to-face meetings with those of people making decisions over a computer network. Sproul and Kiesler found that the groups making decisions electronically had far greater difficulty reaching consensus and ended up taking more extreme positions than the face-to-face groups did. Even more surprising, the on-line groups frequently got caught up in violent arguments, with members exchanging nearly ten times the number of rude remarks than their face-to-face counterparts did. The on-line behavior got so nasty that the researchers halted one of the studies; participants in one of the groups became so frustrated with one another that they had to be escorted out of the building.”

Marilyn wrote:
 "If we can't chew on art, we'll chew on each other.  "
I think it's healthy to be able to discuss opposing views and unusual ideas on this forum - especially since we are all too far apart to physically "chew on each other."

Now if some of you lived within chewing distance of each other . . . .

Marilyn