Re: which lens?

At 09:38 PM 1/22/2006, James B. Davis wrote:

I like my 1.6 multiplier camera very much for shooting birds at 560mm actual FL (896mm virtual FL). I still end up cropping sometimes, you never get too long a
lens shooting birds. If I had a 1DS it would be a terrible waste of pixels
cropping way down to end up where I am with the 10d.

So I'd have to say that the 1.6 crop is a good thing for me. Yes, it is
beneficial for some shooters.

The 1DS is a very heavy camera indeed and another benefit is I carry around less
weight and find it easier to hand hold. Not that the 10d is a lightweight, but
it's lighter and that is a benefit too.

One more time, it's a crop, not a multiplication. You can use the 5D, which isn't much bigger than the 20D, and crop the image from it to get exactly the same thing. If it was truly "multiplication," this wouldn't happen. It's because the rectangle being imaged onto is tiny, smaller than what is available in similar cameras, at least in the Canon line. If it really did multiply, it would be worth paying for, but it doesn't. I'd rather crop from a 1DMkII or a 5D, since if I don't need to crop, I have a much better image to start with.

This is explained here - http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-3291.html

Jeff Spirer
Photos: http://www.spirer.com
One People: http://www.onepeople.com/