Re: which lens?

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 23:06:01 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@xxxxxxxx>
wrote/replied to:

>And yet, standing at suitable portrait distances from a subject, I get
>nice headshots with my 58mm f1.2 NOCT, almost as if it were about 87mm
>instead of 58mm.  If I had a 6MP full-frame sensor, I couldn't use
>that lens that way; I'd have to use something like the 105mm f2.5 (too
>long and too slow IMHO).
>
>Certainly the results are the same as taking the central 6MP from a
>higher-resolution full-frame sensor of just the right resolution that
>the central area corresponding to my current sensor help 6MP on the
>bigger sensor.

Yep, except your camera is lighter and your wallet is heavier ;-)

I like my 1.6 multiplier camera very much for shooting birds at 560mm actual FL
(896mm virtual FL). I still end up cropping sometimes, you never get too long a
lens shooting birds. If I had a 1DS it would be a terrible waste of pixels
cropping way down to end up where I am with the 10d.

So I'd have to say that the 1.6 crop is a good thing for me. Yes, it is
beneficial for some shooters.

The 1DS is a very heavy camera indeed and another benefit is I carry around less
weight and find it easier to hand hold. Not that the 10d is a lightweight, but
it's lighter and that is a benefit too.

I'll likely stick with the 1.6 cameras and upgrade to the 20d successor when it
comes out. Still haven't got a real wide angle lens, but I found when I shot
full frame film with a 20mm, that real wide angle was not such a big deal for
me. Everything was so darned small in the frame you know...

--
Jim Davis, Owner, Eastern Beaver Company:
http://easternbeaver.com/ Motorcycle Relay Kits,