Re: Book Review - and strobe photography

Marilyn:

I had sent my brother a post card of "Doc" Edgerton taken by Andy. By coincidence, my brother picked up a book titled, "For Love of Insects" by Thomas Eisner and apparently Edgerton is mentioned in the book. I thought the following book review may be of interest to PF members.

I have not seen that book but had heard about the problem posed by the beetles. Edgerton also devised ingenious methods for photographing bats catching prey on the fly (meal worms were shot into the air and the bats would normally try to catch them at the top of their trajectory).

On the other topic raised by Karl ... technical photography is an endangered "species". On the other hand some very sophisticated high speed digital cameras have become available and great motion studies are being done with them. The scope of technical photography however extends way beyond PHD (push here dummy) high speed systems and the technical basis for many of these specialized activities is being largely lost. IMO.

andy