Re: Canon's support and information.

Karl and other list members:

Just as a follow-up to our thread I wanted to give you and everyone else
some feedback.

I have been able to place my order and buy the EOS1DInf utility. I was also
contacted by Wolfram Söns who has been a true gentleman and given me a lot
of support and information.

The software was able to read the file from my camera and allowed me to view
the shutter release count. The first image I opened with the software read
13. But since this image came from my first official photo shoot and I had
taken several shots at home after buying the camera to test some of the lens
it sounds like the camera was probably never fired at the reseller's
location (unless the camera can somehow be reset or a firmware upgrade or
re-installation can reset this number). I am very happy to have had the
opportunity to access this information and the feeling of "understanding" it
gave me over what is happening inside of it. It also made me understand
multiple aspects of RAW files and how digital cameras operate.

I have also tried to use your first suggestion but have not been able to
make it work. I initially tried a regular text editor thinking it might be
able to open files store in different formats. Wolfram suggested a hex
editor but I haven't found any interesting one for the Mac to make the
process you describe below simple enough.

In your suggestion you state:

> "Open picture in one of exif viewers and find field "Unknown (0093)". It
> should look like:
> Unknown (0093)3,9: 18,Y,X,0,0,0,65535,65535,0
> Important are Y and X. If Y is 0 then shutter count is X. If Y is 1 or
> more, then count real count is Yx65536+X. Y increases for 1 every 65536
> photos"

Do you know of any EXIF viewer that will provide the capability to search
for a specific string of data or a specific field ? Most EXIF viewers I have
seen (including the EXIF data displayed by Photoshop CS and Bridge which I
am currently using). I am very interested in making this solution work as it
may allow me to also look at other information that is embedded in my camera
files. The problem I've found with EXIF viewers is that they are prepared to
display certain "standard" information - those that are generic for digital
cameras and images. The information that is specific to one particular model
of camera is not displayed by most EXIF viewers and remains hidden from the
user.

Do you know of any software that would allow me to search for the
information and view the data the way you describe ?

Any help from you and others in the group will be very appreciated.

Thank you again Karl for helping me with my questions and guiding me in the
direction I needed to go.

Best regards,

Joseph

---