Re: Copyright

Bob Talbot <BobTalbot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > The question is, what commercial value do screen-resolution, much
> less
> > than fullscreen size, copies of my images have?  Because that's all
> > that can be stolen.
>
> David ... have you not read the newsgroups? Do you not watch those
> crime drama progs where you can blow up 4 pixels  to be able to
> readable full screen?

I have in fact seen that happen right on my television screen.  I just
don't seem to be able to find the downloadable program on the web to
be able to do it myself :-).

> Genuine Fractals has often been touted as being able to do miracles
> (and I'm sure you are aware - it would need a miracle :)

Yep.  I haven't tried making wall-size prints from 12 megapixel
images, which is the area I hear GF might actually be somewhat useful
for, so I reserve judgement overall; but it doesn't do anything useful
for the size increases I actually sue.

> > And will they ever be stolen by people who'd consider paying?  If
> not,
> > then there's no lost income anyway.  Still annoying, and worth
> > threatening prosecution etc.  But not an actual financial loss.
>
> That's the long and short of it over here (no statutory damages for
> simple copyright theft). The big crime  (the only time the police will
> take ANY interest) is if you start bootlegging and reselling *in
> competiton with* a commercial product.  They do take that seriously -
> but then they would, it's big business interest that is threatened.
> That said: look on ebay UK and you can buy almost any M$ product for
> .. well, prices that preclude them being genuine if that makes sense
> ... but what jury is gonna find for Mr (Slime-Ball) Gates over here?
>
> Some spotty little oik uses your image as "his" windows wallpaper?
> Best to get over it.

Or glory in it.  Ctein deliberately invites people to do that with his
images (he makes money on those images selling dye-transfer prints, or
now hand-bound books in tabloid size of high-end inkjet prints,
neither of which is terribly threatened by on-screen viewing).