Re: neat gimmick I found on the web

>>>PS: open an image in PS/Irfan/Whatever (or simply "right click in IE)
ans "save as PinchedPic.BMP" and whoosh ... no ITPC ...>>>

The disclaimer: Bob (me, not that Talbot feller) is not an expert when it comes to ITPC. So I might be saying something that is old hat to some of you.

I bought a copy of Corel XARA when it first hit the shelves. What amazed me then and still does to this day, is the ability to enlarge a XARA image more than 25,000 times. Actually, more than 26,000 times, with a zero loss of resolution and sharpness.

Take a gif/bmp/jpg image and enlarge it 25,000 times and see what you get.

On the CD is a collection of XARA images. There is one image of a watch and the creators name can be found along the edge of the dial. At 26,000 times magnification, the image is tack sharp and you can easily read the artist's name. You cannot see it otherwise.

There is a Corvette drawing and hidden on the license plate is the artist's name. You can see it at 26,000 times magnification. No loss of detail.

Granted, these are images created in Xara and there is no way to convert an existing jpg/bmp/gif image and garner the ability to enlarge the image to such an extent. I once created a few simple banners using Xara and it was (is) amazing to enlarge these images with no rough edges.

I suppose if you created images using Xara, you could later prove you created the images. The typical surfer likely cannot find your name because when you convert the image to another format, the ability to greatly increase the magnification without a loss of resolution is gone.

You would not need to worry about digital solutions because your name is part of the image; removing it requires you know where it is and it can be anywhere.

Will other image formats suitable for the web hold together with no loss of resolution? I still have a dickens of a time creating tack sharp web banners

Bob