PF Exhibits on 2005-10-01 (Late Review)

A very good gallery last week.
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html  include:

>Renate Volz - just before he goes to sleep...
Cat lovers will love this: I love it for that reason.
It's nicely lit and shallow DOF.
I think the whiskers are sharp and maybe the eyes not quite sharp
enough to be perfect.

>Herschel Mair - Tuna Catch
I just opened this in PhotoSHop.  It has an embedded profile (Adobe
RGB 1998).  When I allow it to "convert" the lighting looks lightly
warmer and the picture improves.  My IE6 does not do this as it
assumes sRGB.

That said it is a very good picture for a magazine cover (the editor
can place text where they like in the sky).  I'm not suer it is quite
"National Geographical" I'm afraid.  The critical eye notices the fin
of the big fish is not in the frame and NG would have paid the
fishermen to move the boats to the left a little :o)

>Per Ofverbeck -
Nice flower and nice background (most of it) but I don't think they
work together to make a great photo.

>David Small - Union Square
A VERY good street shot.
It has three elements (always a good number).
1) An interesting yet non-distracting background.
2) The couple having a snog.
Still not enough to make it a worthwhile shot)

3) The woman leaning on the boarding and staring at the couple.
It's the third element that makes it all work for me.

If those adverts/graffiti hadn't been painted out it would have been
too cluttered.

Well done.

>Jeff Spirer - The Wait
I had to laugh at Chris not spotting this was a woman (probably
because she had clothes on).

It's a lovely shot: the slanted "cross" in the background and the look
of anticipation (exhaustion?) of the boxer come together to make a
great shot.  Could easily go in a magazine.

>                D.L. Shipman - Let the courting begin...
Jumbled composition

>Morley Roberts - Chaudier Mill
Looks like a slide scan where the dark border of the mount has not
been cropped away.  This does not present what we are shown to it's
best. I mention it mostly because some of the detail at the top (the
windows) looks too tight to the edge.  If it is a slide, you may be
able to slide the chrome down in the mount and rescan (you could
afford to lose a mm of water from the base).

I also find the lighting a bit "cold".  I did a little tweak in
Levels - pushing blue gamma down (0.85) and red gamma up (1.25) and
found for me a better balance to the light.

Finally, as shown on the web it improves again with a small touch of
Unsharp Mask.  (100%, 0.5 pixel radius, 1 Threshold).

All that said it's well composed and clutter free.

>Don Roberts - Bass Player
See my comments to David Small's shot.
Where this fails for me is the distractng tourists in the background.
It needs some interection from somebody in front of the player.

>Mark Harris - Wall and Shadow
Shame about the flag.
Does it need "spotting"?  There is one flaw for me on the lower left
"quarters"

>Rich Mason - Suburbia 01:42-02:40
The EPOD picture was excellent  :o)

>Christopher Strevens - The Girl and the Invader
Chris Wrote: "my friend Maia is now on show as a sort of circus
animal, stripping to order and performing tricks. It really makes me
angry and sick. "
But you are part of the problem, or at least the symptoms of it. In
this "image" the woman is can easily be seen as  "a sort of circus
animal, stripping to order and performing tricks"
Your own digital renditions are seemingly obsessed with naked women in
subserviant roles. Can you really not see the connection?