Re: PF Exhibits on 01 OCT 05

4 okt 2005 kl. 00.54 skrev Chris:

:>                Per Ofverbeck -

Nice flower but is it any use? At one time the philosophers thought that all plants were meant by God to be of some value to Man and so a use was
sought.  I'm sure primitive man, whose father was a chimpanzee, tasted
everything in sight to see what it would do, just like dad! Then he told his brothers and sisters in the newfangled trick called talking. So science
was born and now we have the New English Herbalist.

,,,

As a matter of fact, like many orchids, this one was once believed to be an aphrodisiac ("Orchis" means "testicle" in Greek, and it is their root bulbs that igave them that name).

Today, I don´t think many people believe in it; most orchids are protected species here, so it would be illegal to try...;-> This one is Plathanthera Bifolia, and is actually rather common in Sweden.

Per Öfverbeck
http://foto.ofverbeck.se

"In a world without walls or fences, who needs Windows or Gates"