Re: Gallery comments

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 14:17:23 -0400, dave6134@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote/replied
to:

>>Let the courting begin...:  I like the beautiful patterns the wings are
>>making.   Could the wings of the bird nearest the lens be burned just
>>slightly so there is more detail, or is it the scan/screen that takes away
>>the detail?  This is really an interesting photograph.
>
>Actually, there is at least faint detail in all of the feathers with the
>exception of a small clipped area of the back of the bird on the farthest
>right. I think the contrast and/or brightness may be set too high on your
>monitor.  The birds were a very stark white against a mostly dark
>background. Exposure was a compromise based on a minimum of clipping and I
>moved gamma up for feather detail and used curves to get a bit more shadow
>information.

As another Great Egret shooter, I agree. I mean white is white.
Details would be grey, these birds are white. I believe a larger size
might show more details.

However, it is a contasty thing. If it was digital, I'd lower the
contrast to the max. It looks like a scan though.

Gotta love the long neck on the one on the right. Nice shot Dave.

--
Jim Davis, Nature Photography:
  http://naturephoto.easternbeaver.com/