Re: The Scottish densitometer

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 11:37:18 +0800, Steve Hodges
<shodges@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote/replied to:

>> There were densitometers and sensitometers, the latter for film,
>> former for paper. Basically they were for reading test strips to
>> control processes. Useless in all but large volume labs.
>
>Yeah, I'm aware of what they're used for, although I've always referred
>to them as transmission and reflection densitometers (film and paper
>respectively).
>
>Although I've used a transmission densitometer on quite a number of
>occasions, especially whilst trying out new developers and development
>processes.  And I'm not exactly a high volume lab -- even the music is
>at a low volume these days.

I have used both in large, medium and small labs over the years. They
can be useful to keep processes in line, but only when quanitites
processed are large enough.

The last lab I worked at, I used a dual mode MacBeth mainly to impress
people with my process plotting and analysing abilites.

--
Jim Davis, Owner, Eastern Beaver Company:
  http://easternbeaver.com/