Re: The Scottish densitometer

James B. Davis wrote:

<shodges@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote/replied to:
I dare not speak it's name

Ye mean MacBeth, right?

Aye laddie, I do indeed.

There were densitometers and sensitometers, the latter for film,
former for paper. Basically they were for reading test strips to
control processes. Useless in all but large volume labs.

Yeah, I'm aware of what they're used for, although I've always referred to them as transmission and reflection densitometers (film and paper respectively).

Although I've used a transmission densitometer on quite a number of occasions, especially whilst trying out new developers and development processes. And I'm not exactly a high volume lab -- even the music is at a low volume these days.

Made for many years in many models at several price ranges, all of
which were high.

And I've read something recently (thanks Karl) suggesting that the olde vacuum tube densitometers still have a lot of life in them.

I am curious -- and it's just an idle curiosity -- as to what these were once priced at when new. I can't imagine they were cheap :-)

Steve