Re: Announcement about Kodak

> Bob
>
> Environmental convcerns should be everything Bob

I agree, but to a point. Before we become concerned over the environment, we
need to make sure we are acting on accurate information. I do think you
missed the point, however.

The assumption was how much the processing of Kodachrome damages the
environment due to effluents. So the poster suggested processing Kodachrome
as black and white film and then use PS to add the missing colors. I thought
this was a goofy idea.

The poster did not mention any possible environmental impact from processing
the film as black and white. For all I know, processing Kodachrome in b/w
chemistry might release toxins that are worse than processing Kodachrome as
it was designed to be processed. Odd things happen when incompatible
chemicals mix.

> I always do a full environmental audit before using any camera
> equipment - weighting the amount of various wastes by the toxicities
> of their individual components.  Factoring in not only the
> consumables, but the manufacturing by-products.  I make allowances for
> stuff that already exists - that is a camera I already own has zero
> further impact whereas any replacement is de novo damage etc etc. I
> print on both sides of the paper, you know the stuff.  Must consider
> the whole picture.

Did you factor in the customers use of gasoline to drive to the store? The
fuel required to get the camera to the store? The deaths in the mines where
the thousands of secret ingredients come from? The printed circuit board
production, the ink used in the printing of the warranty card? The tanning
of the leather?

Or the heat that comes from all the hot air generated by "environmentalists"
that tell us we are ruining Mother Earth? My God, how far do you need to
take your impact study. (smiley)

You (and many others) assume the by products are not properly dealt with. We
love to read about the toxins, yet we do not know anything past what we are
told by loud mouths, and I do not think much of the information we are fed
is one bloody bit accurate.

Sure toxins are used, but so what? What matters is how they are handled. If
you want to do a study, consider how many toxins are used to making
everything you love. Your CDs create "problems." Your clothing, food,
dinnerware, paper cups, pet food, leather shoes, Hummer polish. Everything
you use creates a problem in one form or another. Are you willing to give up
your computer, CDs, going to the movies, and living in a house? I also love
situational ethics. Oh, Smiley!

What amuses me are the Hollywood types trying to save our planet. They want
us in tiny wind up mechanical cars; they can use their fleet of limos.  Yet
they make movies and release CDs.  They live in huge homes and they waste
everything.

> Then I drive into the countryside in my Government subsidized Hummer

Hummer? You dastardly cretin. (smiley) I also drive big cars with big V8
engines.

Bob