My thoughts about art&craft (RE: PF Galleries on 05 FEB 05)

Hi all,

Treading on the fine line..........

I always consider an artist as somebody that is creative. Art implies
innovation, creation, difference from the masses. Art can not be taught. Art
does not need to be pleasant or functional. It may even be revolting,
shocking.

An artist must have a philosophy, must have something to say, must have
questions to ask, may even have some answers.

Crafts on the other hand is skillful implementation of something. Crafts can
be taught, crafts result in pleasant and functional items (both tangible and
intangible).

A good craftsmen does not have to be an artist whereas a good artist has to
be good in craftsmanship too.

Craftsmanship is the way that an artist communicates through. They do not
teach art in art schools, they teach craftsmanship.

Craftsmanship needs rules; rules of thirds, the golden section, horizontal
horizons, etc. Art does not have to follow any rules, though art may create
some rules for the craftsman to follow.

Regards,
Veli Izzet Cigirgan