Re: My thoughts about art&craft (RE: PF Galleries on 05 FEB 05)

Ted Williams said it best, "The hardest thing to do in sports is hit a round ball with a round stick."  Swinging a bat could fall into the craft category in that the technique can be taught, the timing can be taught, the stance can be taught...but the odds that you'll be like Ted Williams at the plate are slim to none.

I had a roomate in Oregon who made some of the most unusual/amazing furniture I'd ever seen...I think I've mentioned him before.  Anyway, his craftsmanship was flawless when it came to wood.  I made the mistake of calling him a carpenter one day, whereupon, I was corrected that he was an artist whose current medium happened to be wood.

Crafts on the other hand is skillful implementation of something. Crafts can
be taught, crafts result in pleasant and functional items (both tangible and
intangible).

I fully disagree.  My father was a carpenter.  He and his brothers and my brother have built homes.  I can saw, nail, hell, I might even be able to frame if given the chance.  But I could never be taught to do what this man can do with a set of tools.  Art is the final product, craft is the process that is practiced to produce the art.

"The optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds.
 The pessimist fears it's true"  - J Robert Oppenheimer

http://www.geocities.com/tr_cunningham