Re: Art vs craft was PF Galleries

Many crafty artists sculpt picturesque words for photographs.

I don't worry about it. I try not to categorize my work. When people ask me what kind of photography I do I hesitate and and then tell them that it defies categorization. I don't usually tell them that one day I'm a street photographer. The next maybe a landscape photographer. The next a photojournalist. And yet another day a commercial photographer. And then maybe a documentarian. What matters to me is enjoying what I do and photographing what pleases me. If it pleases others, fine. If not, that's OK, too. Is it art or craft? That depends on the day, and on who's looking.

Is it an ink jet print, or a giclee? Craft or art? Fine art? What about not-so-fine art?

I think a more important question is: Does your photographic work have to be classified before you can do it? Will you not photograph something a certain way because it's not what you do? Or, will you make photographs that are more experimental for you?

To me, the only time it makes much difference in what you call it--art or craft--is in promotion, where you are trying to make some sense for an uninformed audience who need spoon-feeding in how they will refer to photographs. If it's good work it should be called art. If it's not good work it shouldn't be referred to at all.

Cheers,
Rich Mason

http://richmason.com