Re: PF Galleries on 05 FEB 05

Fake?  Fishy?  WRONG?  Cheat?  Sheesh.

No, none of the above, depending on your definition of the words.

It is a fairly hefty crop, but, once again, no fakery, save the conversion to black & white (also, again, mixed lighting sources as with last week's).
The original, reduced to a smaller file but otherwise unchanged, can be seen here: http://richmason.com/temp/ordorig.jpg

I agree that the man in the foreground looks wrong. I suspect it's partly because he is out of focus and the low camera position gives him more prominence in the frame. I liked the picture for its oddness, and I found him and his expression to be the oddest--he looks like he has a little secret. The dark-haired woman probably looks softer than the man with the hat due to movement blur--the shutter speed was 1/30 second.

If I ever decide to post a cut-and-paste job to the Gallery, I'll let you know.

Some street photographers do cheat. They set up scenes (Robert Doisneau, for example). They remove content that they don't like. You know, like some wildlife photographers (Art Wolfe, for example).

Cheers,
Rich